Facebook Share

Monday, September 9, 2013

Moving...love it or hate it?

So my husband has this amazing job that has given us the opportunity to move overseas and back.  Georgia is now our 5th duty station in about 8 years.  You would think after 5 moves, we would be pros by now. 

My friends..I must admit..I DESPISE moving!  At first, you think it's all rainbows and sunshine...you get to live in a hotel..eat out daily..have fresh sheets and towels every day.  But then reality sets in.  You HAVE to eat out every day.  You live in a room with 3 other people and barely have 2 minutes of peace and quiet while you're in the bathroom.  Speaking of bathrooms..there is NO privacy in a hotel bathroom.  So anyone sitting out in the main part of the room..yeah..they know what's going on in there.

After you finally pick that place that you are going to call home for the next 3-5 years, you then have to wait anxiously for the delivery of all your furniture.  Our first move..from Oklahoma to Kentucky..we had a doorbell that plugged into an outlet in the kitchen.  Guess what the movers packed.  Yep.  The doorbell.  You know what that means..our landlords were left without a doorbell for their next renters.  During our time in Korea, we moved from one Installation to another about 3 hours north.  It took a week to get our furniture after they packed it up.  What in the world were they doing with our items?  I guess we'll never know.  During our move to Georgia, we opened one box..and apparently the day of packing, Lance and the Kids had Burger King for lunch...because their Burger King trash bag was packed in a box.  Oh..and the movers also took apart our couch into 3 different sections.  That was fun trying to figure out how to put it back together.  They somehow lost the nuts and bolts and we ended up with some extra random bar that we're not sure where it was supposed to be attached.

Today..finally..we received our items that were put in Long Term Storage before we moved to Korea 4 years ago.  At least with the regular household goods, everything is separated by room..you know what to expect and have an idea with where to put things.  This shipment today is a hot mess.  I found one box that was full of coupons.  Another box was full of empty boxes.  There's trash, random stuff..items that the kids have way outgrown that I wonder why we didn't just sell it before we left. 

I hate unpacking.  I sit there and stare at the boxes.  I've learned to strategically shift things around the house so it looks like I got something accomplished during the day.  In Korea, I worked full time, plus overtime each week.  Heck..for the last 10 years I've had a full time time.  I am NOT cut out to be a stay at home mom.  Well..technically since both kids are in school, I'm not really a stay at home mom..I'm just unemployed..with a house full of boxes and clutter and it drives me crazy that everything is so cluttered..and it drives me crazy that I have no desire to touch any of it. 

So there you have it.  In another week or so, the house will be back in order..we'll be all settled in..and in another 3-5 years, I'll be going through this all over again.

No comments: